Monday, December 19, 2011

Homemade Crackers




I don't know about you, but it seems really difficult to me to keep healthy snacks on hand for my kids. I usually don't like the ingredients in store bought crackers and snacks, even the organic ones have oils, or sugars I don't like. I started a very restrictive grain free diet, and try finding any cracker that is grain free. Gluten free products are all over the place in the store, but grain free? You aren't finding any!  I miss crackers! I like to eat my chicken salad on crackers, or spread peanut butter on them. There great to have around for some salty crunchy snack. My kids can go thought a whole store bought box in one sitting which really makes them cost prohibitive. So I have been experimenting with recipes, and thought I would share one of them with you.  All the recipes I have used have started with someone else recipe that I just adapted to our liking, so after the recipe, I will name the source so that you can look up the original recipe.

The crackers above are pumpkin seed crackers
1c pumpkin seeds
1/2 hulled sesame seeds
1/2 sunflower seeds
( Its best to soak the seeds for a few hours, and dehydrate them in the oven or dehydrator, it makes them more digestible, if you don't feel like going to that trouble, the recipe will work fine with out that step. )
3 cloves fresh garlic
1 tea sea salt
up to 1/4c water

In a food processor with the blade attachment, process pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, garlic and sea salt, into a course flour, add sesame seeds and process a bit longer, its ok to have whole sesame seeds. Little by little add water a tablespoon at a time until mixture forms a ball.  once mixture has formed a ball, remove from food processor, and knead for a minute to blend it all together a bit more. take the mixture, and roll it out between two sheets of parchment paper, ( do not use wax paper for this ) roll to about 1/4 inch thick. using a pizza cutter, cut the flattened dough into squares, but do not separate, the crackers will break apart after baking.  transfer bottom parchment paper with squares onto baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven 350 for about 10 -15 min.  remove from oven and allow to cool.  The crackers crisp up after they have cooled a bit.  If you have any left over, store them in an air tight container for up to a week.
Enjoy!

The original recipe came from Health, home and happiness, a blog I follow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment