Many of you who know me, know that for some time now, gosh over 5 years now, my family and I have been drinking raw milk. I know for some of you this topic is not even something you would consider, you have heard something about raw milk that would make you uncomfortable drinking it. However I thought that some of you might not know enough about it to give it much thought. I would like to share with you why my family and I love raw real milk! This will be a two part series because there will be to much to share in just one post.
Right now I will give you just a few facts about raw vs. pasteurized milk. Keep in mind that not all milk is equal.
In fact there is a lot of milk out there that I would never dream of consuming raw. Cows that live on commercial feed lots, are generally not healthy beasts. If the cow is not healthy, the milk is not healthy. You can't drink unhealthy milk raw. Raw milk is very different from pasteurized milk.
*Raw milk has all it Enzymes available. Phosphatase the enzyme responsible for calcium absorption. Lipase the enzyme responsible for fat digestion, Lactase if you want to digest Lactose, and Galactase if you want to digest Galactose. I would be happy to tell you what each and every enzyme is but I don't have the room for that in this post, but please leave your questions in the comment section.
* In Pasteurized milk less than 10% of the enzymes remain.
( in other words all the good stuff for you in milk, you can't digest and your body can't use, if you are drinking pasteurized milk. )
* The Protein in Raw milk is 100% available. All 22 amino acids as well as 8 that are essential.
* With Pasteurized milk, amino acids lysine and tyrosine are altered by the heat, and we lose the availability of them. This results in making the whole protein complex less available for tissue repair, and rebuilding.
* In raw milk, all fat-soluble and water-soluble Vitamins are 100% available.
* As for pasteurized milk, there is a loss of vitamins A, D, E, and F up to 66%, Vitamin C loss usually exceeds 50% Vitamins B6 and B12 are virtually destroyed.
*In raw milk all Minerals are 100% available. Calcium, Chlorine, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sodium and Sulphur and vital trace minerals.
* Pasteurized milk ... Calcium availability is altered by heat. the loss may be 50% or more. Because minerals work together synergisticlly, other minerals are less available. The loss of enzymes hurts the assimilation of minerals.
* The friendly acid forming Bacteria in raw milk retard the growth of pathogenic bacteria. In fact many times I have read about e coli and other harmful bacteria being introduced to raw milk, and watched and within 24 hours the good and beneficial bacteria totally taking over and eliminating it!
* with pasteurized milk no bacteria good or bad survive the pasteurization process. Its a dead food!
If after reading all this your not completly convenced, ( or your eyes are gazed over with boredom ) hang with me for a while , and check out some videos I have posted. They preach! Also for more info you can visit